Oct 3 Devonport port, established in 1890, lies close to the mouth of the Mersey River. A 5 metre bronze statue, ‘The Spirit Of The Sea’ stands atop the Devonport breakwater guarding the entrance to the river. The lighthouse was built in 1899.
We visit the Don River Railway museum which is also a working steam and diesel railway. It is the largest collection of old steam locos and passenger carriages in Tassie. One small piece of trivia – there are no passenger rail services in Tasmania due to the small demand. All rail services are freight.
We finish the day with a trip to Goat Island and the Three Sisters which are situated along the coast west of Devonport.