We were doing the touristy thing wandering around Darwin minding our own business when we heard a military band and men shouting things like ATTENSHUN ! Turns out it was a rehearsal for the changing of the colours for the 5th Battalion Royal Australian Regiment with the main event being the following day.
Next we head for the cathedral – St Mary Star Of The Sea, the main place of Catholic worship in the city. During WWII, the church of St Mary was the seat of the garrison of the military chaplaincy for Australian troops in the city. After the war it became necessary to build a larger structure. The first stone taken from Rum Jungle, the site of the first uranium mine in the territory, was blessed by Bishop O’Loughlin on 13 July 1958. Construction operations continued until 1962, when the cathedral was blessed and opened for worship by Bishop O’Loughlin on 19 August 1962 and consecrated on 20 August 1972.
More wandering around the city and outskirts and on to the beach for a spectacular sunset.