248 years to the day when Captain James Cook and his crew beached the Endeavour starting their 48 day adventure in Cooktown. Amongst others these were some of the significant historical moments :
- First meaningful contact between the British explorers and the natural inhabitants of this land
- Six recorded meetings between the two cultures
- 150 words of the local Guugu Yimithir language recorded
- First sighting and sketch of the gangurru (forever afterwards known as the kangaroo)
- First recorded act of reconciliation in Australian history
- Discovery of many new plant and animal species never before recorded
This re-enactment was a very moving experience for us.